Navy Emporium
Guestbooks

For the US Navy Sailor!
Navy Emporium's
Engraved Plaques
and Displays
USS Hamner DD-718 Guestbook
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Navy Emporium Guestbook Index -> USS Hamner DD-718
::  
Name Guestbook Entry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 5:01 pm    Years Served: Welcome to the USS Hamner DD-718 Guestbook Forum Reply with quote

Please view our commemorative USS Hamner DD-718 products in our Ship's Store!

++++USS Hamner DD-718 PLAQUES - ENGRAVINGS - GIFTS - PRODUCTS ++++
Carl Williams

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:02 am    Years Served: Oct 1964 - Jul 1966 Reply with quote

Hello Shipmates - I got out in 1966 after 11 years and came back to Texas. I retired from Lockheed-Martin in 1997.
Jerry Bullock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:23 pm    Years Served: 1974-1975 Reply with quote

I picked up the Hamner after C class on gyro-compasses in Great Lakes. It was either an oiler en route on a WestPac tour, or the Hamner. It was a reserve can and we went to Hawaii with a shipload of reserve sailors, and returned with a different group of reserve sailors.

Enjoyed my short time on the Hamner.

Email communication is authorized.
Warren Littrell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:35 am    Years Served: 1961-1963 Reply with quote

There are nothing but good memories from my time I served on the Hamner. Destroyer Squadron 12 was a group of great ships. I am living in Grayslake, Illinois with my wife and son. I will always remember my days aboard the Hamner and the men in the after engineroom. Anchors Aweigh!
Laverne Josey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:46 pm    Years Served: August 1964 - December 1966 Reply with quote

I was a Damage Controlman 1st Class during my time no board. I retired from the Navy in November 1977 as a Lt. Would certainly like to commuincate with some of my old shipmates. Can anyone remember our WesPac Cruise in 1965? She really was a fine vessel. I enjoyed my shipmates and time served onboard her.
glynn revefre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:24 pm    Years Served: 1961-1966 Reply with quote

Hello old crew. I served on the USS Hamner out of RD-A school while the Hamner was in fram in SF. Stayed my whole tad. RD3. Looking for buddies, David Carey, Roy Robinson, and any of the rest of the gang. Reach out.

And yes I do remember the 65 Wes Pac cruise as well as the 63 one as well..

Glynn RD-3
Rudy E. Nelson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:04 am    Years Served: 1962-1966 Reply with quote

I also had a great time on the old lady. I still live the san francisco bay area and would love to hear from my old shipmates.
Robert Heiser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:13 am    Years Served: I joined in 60 and got out in 1965 Reply with quote

I joined in 60 and got out in Bremington, Wash in 65. I was released from the USS Morton DD 948 in San Diego and went aboard the USS Hamner in 64. I stayed aboard her for six months as she was going overseas and I didn't have much time to go before getting out. I left her in Nov of 64 and went to the USS Watts to help put her out of commission. I was a I/C3 when aboard the Hamner. Would like to hear from some of the guys and bring back memories.
Frank O'Neil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:07 am    Years Served: 62-63 Reply with quote

I left the USS Los Angeles CA-135 July 62 because she was deploying to Westpac and I would not have enough time to serve on her before my enlistment was up. I transfereed to the Hamner in July 62, while she was going through her frame program in San Francisco. I was assigned to the Asroc Launcher as a GM3. Again I discharged before her deployment to Westpac on April 17, 63. I'm living in the hill country of Texas close to Adm. Nimitz's home town of Fredericksburg. I retired after 35 years from the Houston Police Department. The installation of the Asroc Launcher system was a great experience for me. I've always enjoyed being a part of something new and different. I live on a ranch and stay pretty busy in my retirement. If any of you remember me, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Frank O'Neil (Sarge)
Jim Franks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:48 am    Years Served: 1971-1975 Reply with quote

I had a great time on the Hamner and met many freinds. I served on her from 71-75 and worked in Main Control as well as the Aft Engine Room.
Richard Bourque

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:33 pm    Years Served: 1973-1977 Reply with quote

I was a BT on the Hamner during this time and had a great time! Not too sure how many guys that were there with me are out there that read this but if so, please feel free to contact me at nyjetskier@aol.com.

Kevin Freeman, you old sea dog, please contact me if you see this!!

Rich
Larry Kraus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:30 pm    Years Served: March 1970 - September 1971 Reply with quote

I reported on Board the USS Hamner in March 1970 as a 3rd class Electricians Mate. Went on West Pac from Sept. 1970 to March 1971. I was separated from active duty in Sept. 1971 when the Hamner was in The Long Beach Shipyard for Overhaul. Great Duty! :)
William McCaslin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:56 am    Years Served: 1977 Reply with quote

Bill was only stationed on the Hamner for less than a year, in 1977 during it's reserve time in Bremerton. He was glad to be on a ship that knew what an FT did. I don't know if anyone remembers him, but I thought I'd let you know that Bill passed away in Feb. :(
Jim Benzin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:53 pm    Years Served: 70-71 Reply with quote

Be happy to hear from any of my old shipmates from that year. I was looking at some old movies of our crossing of the Equator. That was a fun time.
William J. Howard Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:00 am    Years Served: 1977-1979 Reply with quote

Served aboard as MK 11 gyro tech and NC2 plotter guru 77-79.
The Old Gray ghost of the Oregon coast won a Battle E during that time
also had a race with a Spuance class DD and won pulling away 37 knots and no smoke safeties tied down and balls to the wall Best crew I ever served with in the 21 years I served They don't make them like her anymore

WHEN YOUR OUTTA FRAMS YOUR OUTTA CANS
WILLIAM J. HOWARD IC1 (GOLD) ESWS CC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Navy Emporium Guestbook Index -> USS Hamner DD-718 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Navy Emporium Terms of Use